With the country coming to its senses about increasing health problems in children, it is no wonder that most mothers have started to pay more attention to their kids health. With the reduction of the starting age for the onset of health problems like obesity and eating disorders, it is doubly essential that your child develops healthy eating habit. Here are some eating habits that you can work on for your kids:-
Healthy Eating Habits 1 - Eat healthy yourself
Most often children take after you about a lot of things. This is the reason why you should develop healthy eating habits for yourself. This in turn will also influence what you feed your family.
Healthy Eating Habits 2 - Cook more - Eat out less
1. Cooking has become a luxury to most especially because of the lack of time in today's fast moving world. But cooking is one way you can guarantee a diet that involves healthy food!
2. Assess your families eating habits and see if you eat out or order in more often. Resort to some quick and healthy recipes if you are short of time. Try to reduce eating out to once in a week or less or fix a day in the week for such a treat. This way you can control your families junk food intake and at the same time appease their food cravings!
Healthy Eating Habits 3 - Develop a Balanced Diet for your family
1. Chart out a diet that includes fruits, vegetables. Make sure that you add protein rich food like Fish, eggs, beans and nuts.
2. Involve the children in the meal planning and preparation process and use this oppurtunity to explain to them the importance of eating healthy!
3, There are a number of healthy snack recipes online, access them or use your own creativity to cook up healthy snacks for your children.
4. Remember that children, especially younger ones often raid the kitchen for food. So, stock up lots of healthy snacks and food like fruits.
5. With obesity on the rise in children it is also important to limit their consumption of fat rich food. Reduce your child's fast food and sweetened drinks intake. Don't cut it out completely as doing so will only increase their craving for it. You will have to learn to control their intake either by fixing a day when they can eat out or buy ordering in a surprise treat once in a while. Check this link for some tasty low fat recipes.
6. Avoid deep-frying food and stick to healthy cooking methods like broiling, grilling, roasting, and steaming.
Healthy Eating Habits 4 - Family Meals
1. Family meals are great as it guarantees quality time spend amongst family members and also ensures that the kids get one completer meal in the day.
2. At the meal you can encourage your kid to eat the veggies and fruits that you have added to the spread on the table.
3. Family meals are also a great opportunity for your child to witness your healthy eating habits.
4. Once the Family meals become a habit, provided they are served at a fixed time, the children can reduce unnecessary snacking practices
Healthy Eating Habits 5 - Other practices
1. Don't bribe or reward your children with promises for food.
2. At the dining table don't follow the clean plate rule. When the child says they have had enough remove the plate. Remember it is no about eating more or less. It is about eating right!
3. If you think that the child has been taking lesser food, query them about it, they could be on a self imposed unhealthy diet!
Healthy Eating Habits 5 - Track their food intake
Though tracking your child's food intake may be difficult, you can try. Strike up a conversation with your child about his week and figure out how many times he has eaten junk food. If you think it is too much, explain to him or her, the dangers of an unhealthy diet and its consequence like obesity or eating disorders
Looking to shed pounds for summer? There's nothing like the removal of heavy winter jackets and bulky sweaters to inspire a mad rush for the nearest diet.
Your natural reaction may be to groan and think "I don't want to go through all that work again this year!". I'm with you. Diets can take up a lot of time and struggle to get those pounds off for summer.
But what if there were an easier way?
What if you could watch the pounds drop off quickly and easily - while eating delicious food that is prepared for you? Sounds like a dream? It's actually quite possible - when you choose to get your diet meals delivered.
Diet meal delivery is a fairly new concept - but it's catching on like wildfire. People love being able to eat delicious meals with no prep, no counting calories or carbs and no shopping. It's very easy to lose weight - and more affordable now than ever (in fact, it might even SAVE you money on food!)
So with that in mind here are 3 reasons you might want to try getting your diet meals delivered:
#1 You Save Time
One of the #1 reasons people hate dieting is that it takes so much time - time they don't have. You have to wander the supermarket looking for food you've never heard of (what the heck is Okra?), chop endless vegetables, figure out complicated "diet" recipes. And then after hours slogging it out in the kitchen, you finally taste the food - only to be disappointed. It's a recipe for diet disaster.
Plus, when you're hungry and you have 3 appointments, 1 work project and a kid's soccer match to get to - who has time to make dinner?
Having your diet meals prepared for you and on hand (ready in 5 - 10 minutes) saves you a lot of time. You don't have to spend hours in the kitchen. Plus, many services also include snacks so if you get hungry, you just grab and go.
#2 Enjoy Restaurant - Quality Meals Every Day
The second problem with diets is that they don't taste great - and we humans can only deprive ourselves for so long. By the second day of vegetables, I often find myself face-down in a carton of Ben and Jerry's. Deprivation just doesn't work.
But what if you didn't deprive yourself of delicious food - what if you went the other way and enjoyed tasty, mouth-watering meals every day? How easy would that be?
Many diet delivery services offer restaurant-quality, chef-prepared meals for their dieters. This means you get to pamper yourself every day while losing weight - so it's a lot easier to stay on the plan (you may even enjoy the food more than your usual fare!).
#3 Super-Easy To Follow
Another problem with diets is that they can be hard to follow. You have to count carbs grams or calories. You have figure out how many points that pizza slice is. Or you have to know the proper ratio of carbs to proteins to fats. Not to mention that you may even have to search out special foods and try to learn how to prepare them.
Now women can be very good at all this - we've turned dieting into a national sport. We can probably list the calorie counts of our meals in our sleep. But how much time and mental energy you end up wasting by doing this? You lose out on enjoying the moment, enjoying the people you're with and enjoying the experience.
Why do that when you don't have to? When you have diet meals delivered, you don't have to count calories or carbs or fat grams. It's all done for you. You don't have to figure out if this meal will help you lose weight - or blow a weeks' worth of dieting efforts. You just eat - and lose weight.
It's so simple, you can relax and just enjoy your life as the weight drops off.
So those are 3 reasons to consider trying a diet meal delivery service. If you decide to go for it, you may want to research first and see which services fit your budget and lifestyle. But once you find a service that meets your needs, you're well on your way to a smaller, thinner body - just in time for summer!
If you want to live a healthy lifestyle, it is important that you start in the kitchen, where food is prepared and eaten. While you may be trying to prepare healthy meals, the cookware set you are using may be causing health issues, some that may not even be felt until later in life. What constitutes a healthy cookware set? That is a good question, considering there are many different companies that say they have healthy cookware, but don't.
There are a number of different products out there that claim to be a healthy cookware set. Healthy cookware starts with pans that have raised bottoms, ones that drain the oils and fats away from the food you are cooking. Even lean cuts of meat still have some kind of fat, and without the right cooking tools, these unhealthy ingredients could be winding up inside you.
Did you know that certain metals can actually be harmful to your health? A couple of these are aluminum and copper. The problem is that these are reactive cookware, meaning that at high temperatures, or with certain acidic foods like tomatoes, the metals can actually be absorbed by the food and these heavy metals wind up in your body, causing all kinds of medical problems later on, including Alzheimer's.
With Teflon or other 'non-stick' coatings, you have to same kinds of problems. Most people that use that kinds of pans don't realize that they can't be heated to high temperatures because the coating starts to break down, winding up inside you. Another thing about non stick cookware is that while you are only supposed to use wood or plastic spatulas spoons and forks, many people forget, or get lazy and use metal utensils anyway, again, allowing the non stick surface to peel of and be eaten. Sounds terrible to think about what these materials are doing to your body, and there is no real way to get rid of them.
A real healthy cookware set is one that is made from inert and non reactive materials, such as earthenware, or ceramic pots and pans. These don't react with acidic foods, and there are no coatings on the cooking surface that could potentially be harmful. Other examples of healthy cookware includes enamel, titanium, and glass. Enamel is a glass surface that is fused with the cookware, and with the proper care can last a lifetime.
Make sure that if you are going with enamel that is a quality product. Poor quality enamel is just a thin layer, and can chip off, not only getting into your food, but exposing the metal underneath which can be interact with your food as well. Titanium, while it is non reactive, as well as light weight, is a poor heat conductor. Typically, this cookware has titanium fused over aluminum as a non stick coating. While these are durable and a healthy cookware set choice, they are also expensive.
When it comes to some of the best non reactive healthy cookware sets, try glass. Glass in not reactive, retains and distributes heat evenly, and is an excellent choice for storing food in. If you have any aluminum cookie sheets or muffin pans, these can be made into healthier cookware if you line them with cooking paper.